7.11.2006






Rainy Day


This was one of those days I could have blown it... by blown it I mean missed out on something wonderful. It was rainy, Augie was grouchy, I took him outside to play in the rain as a last resort. I admit, there was a huge part of me that was begrudging having to do this for him... it really was more for myself and my low-whinning tollerance.


For over an hour he and I built up dams in puddles, walked upstream in little creeks, and threw muddy crud around. It was wonderful. It made me remember when I was little and would lay on the sidewalk launching "boats" into the stream around our house on days exactly like this one. We forget to find value in play when we get old, it's too messy and time consuming.


Tim talked about being alive this past Sunday. I thought that being alive on a rainy day was sleeping in, waching news commentary and reading books with hot tea.

I was wrong.

Being alive is playing in the mud with your one-year-old son and not caring how dirty either of you get. It is coming in from the cold and taking a hot bath together and not feeling like I missed out on a thing. Thank God for giving us a son that makes us have so much patience and a son who makes us pay attention and play.

No comments: